Upgrading from V.23.0.4 to V.24 on Ubuntu

Hello,

I am having trouble updating from V.23 to the latest V.24 on Horizon. Can someone explain what needs to be done on Ubuntu as I am at a loss.

Thanks

The procedure is pretty similar as described in Upgrading Horizon 23 to 24 on CentOS 7 and switch to OpenJDK 11. The difference is, apt will ask you how to deal with configuration files which are changed. You can say keep my version or overwrite my files with the maintainer files coming from the packages.

If you say, keep my files you will find additional configuration files ending with *.dpkg-dist which is the equivalent of the rpmnew files on CentOS.

What’s the specific trouble you ran into?

The issue that I am now having is:

root@hvs:~# opennms -v start
Starting OpenNMS: Could not connect to the OpenNMS JVM (OpenNMS might not be running or could be starting up or shutting down): Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 127.0.0.1; nested exception is: 
	java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

It was working for about a week but now I get this error when trying to start the service.

Can you check your /usr/share/opennms/logs/manager.log? You can also try to start OpenNMS in foreground so you can get an idea where it crashes during startup with /usr/share/opennms/bin/opennms -f start.