Syslogd: Unable to parse message

troubleshooting
syslogd

I’ve enabled syslogd and made sure that the default syslogd event files are included.
Also I’ve configured rsyslog to forward syslogs to OpenNMS.

Now I’ve simulated a login failure on a server, but I didn’t get an event into the database.
Syslogd tells me: unable to parse.

So I’ve investigated a little bit more.

Syslog entry in auth.log looks like:
Mar 8 08:21:11 rmvm056 sshd[5773]: Failed password for invalid user hans from 10.30.10.24 port 44486 ssh2

Match rule provided in OpenSSH.syslog.xml:
<match type="regex" expression="^Failed (.*?) for invalid user (\S+) from (.*?) port (\d+) ssh(\d)$"/>

Debug log while generating auth error:

2019-03-08 09:50:11,110 DEBUG [AggregatorFlush-Syslog] o.o.n.s.CustomSyslogParser: Regexp not matched: rmvm056 sshd[27873]: Failed password for invalid user hans from 10.30.10.24 port 45260 ssh2
2019-03-08 09:50:11,110 INFO  [AggregatorFlush-Syslog] o.o.n.s.SyslogSinkConsumer: Message discarded, returning without enqueueing event.
org.opennms.netmgt.syslogd.MessageDiscardedException: Unable to parse message: '<38>Mar  8 08:50:10 rmvm056 sshd[27873]: Failed password for invalid user hans from 10.30.10.24 port 45260 ssh2'
        at org.opennms.netmgt.syslogd.ConvertToEvent.<init>(ConvertToEvent.java:304) ~[org.opennms.features.events.syslog-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.netmgt.syslogd.SyslogSinkConsumer.toEventLog(SyslogSinkConsumer.java:124) ~[org.opennms.features.events.syslog-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.netmgt.syslogd.SyslogSinkConsumer.handleMessage(SyslogSinkConsumer.java:101) ~[org.opennms.features.events.syslog-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.netmgt.syslogd.SyslogSinkConsumer.handleMessage(SyslogSinkConsumer.java:61) ~[org.opennms.features.events.syslog-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common.AbstractMessageConsumerManager.lambda$dispatch$0(AbstractMessageConsumerManager.java:90) ~[org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Iterable.java:75) [?:1.8.0_191]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common.AbstractMessageConsumerManager.dispatch(AbstractMessageConsumerManager.java:90) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.camel.client.CamelLocalMessageDispatcherFactory.dispatch(CamelLocalMessageDispatcherFactory.java:52) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.camel.client-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.camel.client.CamelLocalMessageDispatcherFactory.dispatch(CamelLocalMessageDispatcherFactory.java:45) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.camel.client-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common.AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory.timedDispatch(AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory.java:80) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common.AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory.access$000(AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory.java:61) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common.AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory$1.dispatch(AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory.java:121) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common.AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory$1.dispatch(AbstractMessageDispatcherFactory.java:118) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.aggregation.Aggregator.run(Aggregator.java:189) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.aggregation.Aggregator$1.run(Aggregator.java:104) [org.opennms.core.ipc.sink.common-23.0.3.jar:?]
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555) [?:1.8.0_191]
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505) [?:1.8.0_191]

I’ve also tried to change the file format setting in rsyslog.conf:

# Use traditional timestamp format.
# To enable high precision timestamps, comment out the following line.
#
#$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat

Then the logs look like:

2019-03-08T09:20:50.639859+00:00 rmvm056 sshd[16052]: Failed none for invalid user hans from 10.30.10.24 port 46388 ssh2

But I get the same parsing error.

Also I’ve verified the regex and the syslog entry with https://debuggex.com and it worked.

Which parser did you specify in syslogd-configuration.xml ?

It’s the default config:

<configuration
            syslog-port="10514"
            new-suspect-on-message="false"
            parser="org.opennms.netmgt.syslogd.CustomSyslogParser"
            forwarding-regexp="^.*\s(19|20)\d\d([-/.])(0[1-9]|1[012])\2(0[1-9]|[12][0-9]|3[01])(\s+)(\S+)(\s)(\S.+)"
            matching-group-host="6"
            matching-group-message="8"
            discard-uei="DISCARD-MATCHING-MESSAGES"
            timezone=""
            />

My forwarding regex is the only difference here. I am using : forwarding-regexp="^((.+?) (.*))\r?\n?$"

But isn’t the log already forwarded when the log is complaining about the matching in OpenSSH.syslog.xml?

Got me! I only know mine is working and yours isn’t :clown_face:

So you have changed yours in past? Why? Was it not working? :joy:

@dino2gnt I’ve tested your regex. Now I’m getting:
2019-03-08 20:27:06,310 ERROR [AggregatorFlush-Syslog] o.o.n.s.SyslogSinkConsumer: Unexpected exception while processing SyslogConnection java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: No group 8

What I didn’t mention: The syslog client VM is an Ubuntu 18 running rsyslog. Not sure if that makes a difference. My OpenNMS version is 23.0.3.

Show me the entire ueiMatch stanza for that message please.

<ueiMatch>
  <process-match expression="^sshd$"/>
  <match type="regex" expression="^Failed (.*?) for invalid user (\S+) from (.*?) port (\d+) ssh(\d)$"/>
  <uei>uei.opennms.org/vendor/openssh/syslog/sshd/invalidUser</uei>
  <parameter-assignment matching-group="1" parameter-name="authMethod"/>
  <parameter-assignment matching-group="2" parameter-name="user"/>
  <parameter-assignment matching-group="3" parameter-name="remoteHost"/>
  <parameter-assignment matching-group="4" parameter-name="remotePort"/>
  <parameter-assignment matching-group="5" parameter-name="protocolVersion"/>
</ueiMatch>

Marcel,

I think you want the RadixTreeSyslogParser, assuming you’re on a release that includes it. This parser is the default in Horizon 24.

It works with the RadixTreeSyslogParser. Thanks @jeffg
Good to here, that this one is the default one in H24, since it seems to work out of the box.