It’s time for OpenNMS On the Horizon!
Sorry about missing last week’s OOH. Just as I was feeling better post-surgery, I got knocked out with a bug and a persistent multi-day 101-degree fever. Starting to feel more human again.
In the last two weeks we did a lot more bug fixing and polishing in preparation for Horizon 25, including RPC fixes and improvements, reporting updates, and polling and SNMP agent config improvements.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Dustin did more work on the branch to fix flow data graphing.
- Jesse made a few more small changes to his improvements to JMS RPC before release.
- Jesse did some final wrapup for the high-performance name resolution backend.
- Christian did more work on fixing the use of metadata in the PageSequenceMonitor.
- Chandra did more work on supporting “profiles” for SNMP agent configuration.
- Jesse worked on a tool to run only unit tests that have changed since an associated “base” branch.
- Jesse fixed polling to actually update the
lastfailservice poll columns.
- Sean worked on cleaning up DNS dependencies.
- Chandra updated Kafka RPC to process RPC responses asynchronously.
- Jesse and Markus continued to work on speed and stability improvements to integration and smoke tests.
- Christian added support for setting the
Reply-To:field in notification emails.
- Chandra improved the logging on elasticsearch bulk request failures.
- Matt continued his work on persisting and sharing thresholding information.
- Matt worked on a Karaf command to aid in testing and benchmarking the new key/value store.
Web, ReST, and UI
- Patrick worked on wrapping up configurable rule ordering the flow classification UI.
- I did more work on cleaning up code & documentation and prepping for OpenNMS.js 2.0 and Helm 4.0.
- Christian fixed date handling in the ops board criteria component.
- Markus did more work wrapping up his reporting UI changes plus a few more features, including time zone support, and multiple recipients for scheduled reports.
- Chandra worked on fixing graphing (and bookmarking) large numbers of elements in one query.
Meridian and Horizon August Releases
August marked what is likely the last Horizon 24 release (24.1.3, WOPR), with 25 rapidly polishing up in preparation for next month. 24.1.3 got a bunch of bug fixes and a few small enhancements.
Additionally, Meridian 2018.1.11 was released, with a few small changes.
For a complete list of changes, see the release announcements:
Upcoming Events and Appearances
Tarus Balog will be speaking at All Things Open again this year. It’s a wonderful open-source conference here in the back yard of The OpenNMS Group’s offices.
The speaking schedule is still to be determined.
NETHINKS will be offering German-language training in their headquarters in Fulda, Germany the week of October 21st.
For more details or to sign up, see the NETHINKS training page.
We will be at OSMC in November.
There will be a 1-day workshop on November 4th, focusing on getting started with OpenNMS including notifications, alarms, and graphing in Grafana with Helm.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- ALEC-77: Upgrade Alec Kafka Components to 2.3.0 on Scala 2.12
- HELM-167: Number values in Helm do not right align
- HELM-171: Update Helm to use dependabot
- JS-41: make API objects immutable
- NMS-10708: Web Server HTTP Header Internal IP Disclosure - (CVE-2000-0649)
- NMS-10721: Netflow 9 graphs do not line up with MIB2 data
- NMS-12085: Initial support for Netflow in OpenNMS
- NMS-12140: Store and read thresholding configuration from PostgreSQL
- NMS-12148: Consider timezone when scheduling reports
- NMS-12149: Allow multiple recipients when delivering/scheduling a report
- NMS-12152: Allow for searching a dashboard
- NMS-12167: User conceptualizes profile-fitting for SNMP across enterprise
- NMS-12180: Create feature to install thresholding service on sentinel
- NMS-12188: BulkRequests should log more details of why it failed
- NMS-12203: Upgrade Kafka components to 2.3.0
- NMS-12215: Add enhancements to DNS Resolver and Circuit Breaker
- NMS-12222: Improve diagnostics and resiliency of JMS RPC (w/ embedded ActiveMQ)
- NMS-12223: Date handling broken in OpsBoard’s criteria builder component
- NMS-12224: Add reply-to field to notification emails
- NMS-12225: Track and display timestamps for the last polls
- NMS-12227: interfaceresolv event token is incorrect
- NMS-12232: Kafka RPC: Slow callbacks cause lag on response topics
- NMS-12236: Kafka RPC: StackOverflowError while unmarshaling causes processing to halt
- NMS-12240: Report scheduler should be disableable
- NMS-12241: Fix flapping DatabaseReportPageIT