OpenNMS Integration with Python

Hi Team,

I’m pretty new to python and I want to integrate NMS (OpenNMS) (Network Management System) with Python. so is it possible, If yes then how I’ll get the details of OpenNMS API and the package?

Your question is very generic. Have you already checked the development docs?

Can you please also provide more information what you want to achieve?

There aren’t any Python libraries pre-built for working with OpenNMS data. Using the info above, you can make your own REST calls against the API and work with the data.

1 Like

I would recommend investigating 3 ways to integrate with OpenNMS:

• REST API: Pretty language neutral. It has some pros/cons regarding the impact on OpenNMS itself
  • OpenNMS Integration API (OIA): is for deeper integration and you write OpenNMS plugins with it. It runs along with OpenNMS in our Karaf container and has more direct access to objects at runtime. You have to write Java code here and the result is mostly hot-deployable Karaf archives (KAR files). Same here depending on what you are doing, it can have an impact on the OpenNMS process itself.
  • Apache Kafka: You can enable a producer/consumer in OpenNMS for monitoring data. You are free to choose whatever you want to consume or produce data on Apache Kafka from/to OpenNMS. A sample code is here: https://github.com/j-white/ouce2018-oip/tree/master/9-kafka.

It depends a little bit on what your goal is with your integration.

Actually I want to integrate the OpenNMS functionality with my existing application which is in C and Python.
So I want to know which language will be fine to use the OpenNMS functionality.

Actually I want to integrate the OpenNMS functionality with my existing application which is in C and Python, that’s why i want to use these languages only.
I’ll investigate your points and will discuss with team. Thanks.