OpenNMS 25 undocumented(?) breaking change - Postgresql 10+ version dependency

I just tried upgrading to OpenNMS 25 on my sandpit server, and I did the yum update, and then merged all the rpmnew and rpmsave files.

I then ran install -dis only to have it fail with the following message:

- using create.sql... /opt/opennms/etc/create.sql
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.opennms.bootstrap.Bootstrap$4.run(Bootstrap.java:527)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: org.opennms.core.schema.MigrationException: Unsupported database version "9.200000" -- you need at least 10.000000 and less than 13.000000.  Use the "-Q" option to disable this check if you feel brave and are willing to find and fix bugs found yourself.
	at org.opennms.core.schema.Migrator.validateDatabaseVersion(Migrator.java:200)
	at org.opennms.install.Installer.install(Installer.java:246)
	at org.opennms.install.Installer.main(Installer.java:995)
	... 6 more

which is complaining that I need at least Postgresql V10.

We’re currently running 24.1.3 on Oracle Linux 7.7 which provides postgresql 9.2.24 as the latest vendor provided version.

I can’t see anywhere in the release notes about dropping support for postgresql 9.

Fortunately this is only in my sandpit, so no harm done. But is there any opennms specific documentation on upgrading postgresql from v9.x to a version that is supported by openNMS 25?

It is a documented breaking change see here: http://docs.opennms.org/opennms/releases/25.0.0/releasenotes/releasenotes.html#_postgresql_10

1 Like

Ah thanks. I couldn’t find that doc.

Sorry to drive you in this situation. Just to be curious, what resources do you have looked up? This sounds something we should improve to avoid this hassle in the future?

I looked in the Release Notes in issues.opennms.org, but I don’t expect to see a title “breaking changes” in there as I’m aware that is only a technical list of all the issues included.

Then I went looking on opennms.com, but that only has v24 as the latest release.

And I went searching in thisdiscourse group but found the latest release mentioned there was 24.1.0.

I just didn’t think to look in docs.opennms.org :slight_smile:

I know all too well about the difficulties of documentation indexation… how many times have I filed a document somewhere that I thought was perfectly logical at the time I filed it, only to find 12 months down the track when I’m looking for it, that I’m searching from a totally different context than when I filed it, and I cannot find where I filed it… :smiley:

Thanks for the followup on this though.

Cheers,
John.

Just to be pedantic, I’d like to point out that the issue list in the Jira “release notes” does include NMS-12238, the issue created for bumping the minimum version of Postgres to 10 :slight_smile:

Ah and the reason I didn’t find it when I searched that page, is because the description of that particular issue miss-spelt PostgreSql as PostgresSQL with too many ‘s’ :slight_smile: in the title.