The freenode network has a new ownership and the new overlords seem to be evil and abusing their powers. Some formerly freenode staff resigned and recreated https://libera.chat/ as an alternative IRC network for free and open source software communities. Some IRC users reported issues like here:
- Freenode IRC operators now engaging in routine abuses of power
- Freenode IRC staff resign en masse, unhappy about new management • The Register
The following question comes up especially the few using IRC. What do you think?
- Move #opennms to libera.chat and reconfigure the IRC bridge
- Keep #opennms on freenode and keep everything as it is
- Kill #opennms on freenode and drop IRC support completely