How to config OpenNMS for information like hardware, cpu, etc. Ubuntu Server

Hi all,

I’m new to OpenNMS and struggle in finding a way to config OpenNMS to get info like hardware, CPU, etc from an Ubuntu. Right now OpenNMS can get basic info like this one:

snmpd.config file has these:
view systemonly included .1.3.6.1.2.1.1
view systemonly included .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1
view systemonly included .1.3.6.1.4.868.2.4.1.2.1.1.1.3.3562.3

Can anyone help please,
Thanks a lot
Peter

Not sure if it’s the best approach, but you could configure SNMP agents to expose the data you need and let the SNMP asset adapter grab them.

Usually it’s a good approach to add these assets in the provisioning process.

Thanks for your reply. I think when you say snmp agents it means snmpwalk. I did test with it:
snmpwalk -v2c -c private 10.10.2.111
The result show lots of info. But I don’t know how to show it on OpenNMS, or maybe I confused: do openNMS show that info on? or it just give you warning and alert? (for example I want to read cpu, hdd, temp, etc.)

Regards,
Peter

SNMP agent means the snmpd on a monitored node.

But I am not sure if I understand your requirement.

Are you talking about collecting performance metrics, like CPU or memory usage or do you want to add meta information to your nodes, like CPU model, amount of Ram etc (to fill the assets).

Hi mfuhrmann,

The purpose is collecting performance metrics and showing it on OpenNMS interface.

Regards,
Peter

OpenNMS can collect of the box snmp performance data from nodes.
On OpenNMS side a node need the SNMP service on the interface and a suitable snmp config
On the client side you need to config snmpd (<- very simple example)

Hi mfuhrmann,

Thanks for your reply. I configured SNMP on client and opennms recognized that node already. Sound silly to ask, is there any way to print out data (not by graph). Like in this https://wiki.opennms.org/wiki/Hardware_Inventory_Entity_MIB

I want to get info like this for Linux machine, but when click on Hardware Info it says : The node doesn’t have hardware information on the database.

Regards,
Peter

You’ll need to implement the ENTITY-MIB on your Net-SNMP agent, or find some equivalent MIB implementation. I don’t think Net-SNMP has anything like that out of the box.