Fresh install give me a blank page, problem with GeocoderServiceManager?

Problem:
I have made a fresh install of opennms in AlmaLinux 8.4
When I access to the web interface I have only a blank page
curl http://fqdn:8980/opennms gives nothing

OpenNMS version: 28.1

Other relevant data:
In web.log I have

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.opennms.features.geocoder.GeocoderServiceManager
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:471) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:589) ~[?:?]
        at java.net.FactoryURLClassLoader.loadClass(URLClassLoader.java:899) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:315) ~[?:?]
        at org.opennms.core.soa.support.OnmsOSGiBridgeActivator.findClasses(OnmsOSGiBridgeActivator.java:214) ~[org.opennms.core.soa-28.1.0.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.soa.support.OnmsOSGiBridgeActivator.registerWithOnmsRegistry(OnmsOSGiBridgeActivator.java:171) [org.opennms.core.soa-28.1.0.jar:?]
        at org.opennms.core.soa.support.OnmsOSGiBridgeActivator.serviceChanged(OnmsOSGiBridgeActivator.java:136) [org.opennms.core.soa-28.1.0.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.EventDispatcher.invokeServiceListenerCallback(EventDispatcher.java:990) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.EventDispatcher.fireEventImmediately(EventDispatcher.java:838) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.EventDispatcher.fireServiceEvent(EventDispatcher.java:545) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.fireServiceEvent(Felix.java:4595) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.registerService(Felix.java:3587) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.registerService(BundleContextImpl.java:348) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintContainerImpl.registerService(BlueprintContainerImpl.java:496) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ServiceRecipe.register(ServiceRecipe.java:193) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintContainerImpl.registerServices(BlueprintContainerImpl.java:759) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintContainerImpl.doRun(BlueprintContainerImpl.java:435) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintContainerImpl.run(BlueprintContainerImpl.java:298) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintExtender.createContainer(BlueprintExtender.java:335) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintExtender.createContainer(BlueprintExtender.java:288) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintExtender.createContainer(BlueprintExtender.java:284) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintExtender.modifiedBundle(BlueprintExtender.java:274) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.util.tracker.hook.BundleHookBundleTracker$Tracked.customizerModified(BundleHookBundleTracker.java:500) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.util.tracker.hook.BundleHookBundleTracker$Tracked.customizerModified(BundleHookBundleTracker.java:433) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.util.tracker.hook.BundleHookBundleTracker$AbstractTracked.track(BundleHookBundleTracker.java:725) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.util.tracker.hook.BundleHookBundleTracker$Tracked.bundleChanged(BundleHookBundleTracker.java:463) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.aries.util.tracker.hook.BundleHookBundleTracker$BundleEventHook.event(BundleHookBundleTracker.java:422) [!/:1.10.3]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.invokeBundleEventHook(SecureAction.java:1179) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.EventDispatcher.createWhitelistFromHooks(EventDispatcher.java:730) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.EventDispatcher.fireBundleEvent(EventDispatcher.java:485) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.fireBundleEvent(Felix.java:4579) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2174) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1373) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308) [org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

The geocoder exception on a fresh install happens because the geocoder is not configured, it isn’t indicative of an issue. The source of your problem lies elsewhere; anything interesting in web.log or jetty-server.log?

Hi

Nothing interesting elsewhere in log. But in fact, i fear it is a problem between curl and opennms. I was configuring a nginx proxy server and was using curl and HEAD to debug it locally (no browser in the VM). HEAD said 200 and curl said no content. But, wget gives me a real page.
Strange, but now it works and with nginx I can redirect traffic outside the VM on https port…

Thanks

Fabrice

I’ve just double-checked if this is a problem with Alma Linux in general. I did a minimal install with AlmaLinux 8.4 (Electric Cheetah) and just followed the CentOS 8/RHEL 8 installation instructions. I got it installed and running without any issues.

What I have seen, if you have installed with a graphical user interface or a larger installation profile. It might be possible you get an OpenJDK greater than 11 installed which won’t work. You need to ensure OpenNMS really uses OpenJDK 11 Development kit. The article Dealing with Java Environments on CentOS and Ubuntu might be helpful to sort things out.