Changed SNMP interval = no graph data

Hi!

We have two services for SNMP, one 5min interval poll, and another one for 10min interval.

When using the 5min interval service, we receive graphs in the GUI as usual. But when we do polling with the 10min, we only see a horizontal line. “Last Good” statement tells me that both of them work. And i can also manually do a snmpwalk on the server.

So why do i don’t get any graphdata showed when the Interval is set to 10min? If i change it back to the 5min service it works again.

<service name="SNMP" interval="300000" user-defined="false" status="on">
 <parameter key="oid" value=".1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0"/>
 <parameter key="retry" value="2"/>
 <parameter key="timeout" value="5000"/>
<service name="SNMP-10MIN" interval="600000" user-defined="false" status="on">
 <parameter key="oid" value=".1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0"/>
 <parameter key="retry" value="2"/>
 <parameter key="timeout" value="5000"/>
<monitor service="SNMP" class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.SnmpMonitor"/>
<monitor service="SNMP-10MIN" class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.SnmpMonitor"/>

And even if i don’t receive any graphdata will it still trigger events?

ver 26.1.0

You need a collectd service for your SNMP-10MIN service.

<service name="SNMP-10MIN" interval="600000" user-defined="false" status="on">
         <parameter key="collection" value="default"/>
         <parameter key="thresholding-enabled" value="true"/>
      </service>

<collector service="SNMP" class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.collectd.SnmpCollector"/>

Ok thanks.

Weird though that i don’t find any “org.opennms.netmgt.collectd.SnmpCollector” in my config.

The interval has nothing to do with it, it’s keyed off the service name. On the nodes where you have defined the SNMP-10MIN service, there’s no service named SNMP, so you won’t get data collection associated with the collectd service SNMP. Clear as mud?

So you are aware, changing the polling interval has zero effect on data collection interval; you’re still going to collect at 5 minute intervals. Polling and Collection are two distinct and separate subsystems.

Still confused how i suppose to do. well well -_-

How about we take a couple steps back, and you describe what you’re trying to accomplish so I can answer that question instead?

Thanks for being patient. :slight_smile:
Ok. When using the SNMP-10MIN service. The only difference is the polling interval. And when we are using that one the service polls as it should. But we can’t collect any graphs. We don’t see them in the GUI. So when we revert to the original service where the polling interval is set to 5min. Then we can see that the graph-data comes in from a server. So the question is. How can we collect graphs for that SNMP-10 service? Just the same as the other one that works.

Right, but is your ultimate goal “polling the SNMP service every 10 minutes” or is it actually “having graphs with a 10 minute collection interval” ?

Hi!

The 10-min SNMP-service should be connected with a 10-min graph data collection as well.
The same as the 5-MIN SNMP-service collects graphs in 5MIN.

If this is too messy then we have to still use 5MIN, thats all. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Changing the polling interval has zero effect on the collection interval, these are two separate subsystems with distinct configurations.

If you want to change the collection interval, you need to start with collect-configuration.xml to set your interval and datacollection-config.xml to set a correct RRA for that collection interval. There’s some docs out there on how to do this I’ll try to link you too, if I can find them, so I don’t have to retype the entire process myself :wink:

ok. will look into it!
Thanks!